owl

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Experiment 1 ~ Cloth Diapers 101

I have decided that I am going to spend the next year trying to live life to the fullest, and to find out if we can live our lives cheaper. September 2012 I had my first baby, and let me just say over the last 12 months he has blasted through a million diapers! At about $50 per case it gets very pricy, so about two months ago I started researching the in's and out's of diapers, how much they would cost, and what would be involved in my life for this to work.

The parameters of this experiment will be that it must be easy, I can handle a couple extra loads of laundry per week, but I can't handle super stress OR overwhelming problems. They have to fit like a regular diaper, be 99% leak proof, be easy to clean, be portable, and SAVE ME MONEY!!!! I have also decided to narrow the focus of CD (cloth diapers) to 3 different types. There are hundreds of different brands but for my purpose I will be using Go Green Pocket Diapers, Gdiapers, and Best Bottom Diapers!

The first ones that I will take about is the Go Green Pocket Diapers, as stated they have a pocket that you stuff with soakers (the different pads) in. They are really nice because they hold the soakers in place and they make using extra soakers (for night time) easy. The thing to remember is that when the diaper is wet you must replace the entire diaper,  not just the soaker, just like a disposable one. This is also a one size diaper, which means that it will fit baby from birth to potty training. The average price for one of these diapers is between $14-$18.
In the picture below you see the colored snaps which help to make it easier to put on. If you look above on the cow printed diaper you see the snaps on the front which is to make the diaper shorter for a new born.




The second is the Gdiapers, which is a shell diaper meaning that you replace the soakers when ever they are wet or dirty. It also means that you have less laundry, and fewer diapers. I bought the "Economy" pack, which is 3 green and 3 orange gdiapers. They are priced from $12-19, but you have to remember that these are "Sized" which means small, median, large, X-L, so I would have to purchases them in each size. This would mean that more money would be spend on these then on the pocket diapers.



**** Side note, the Gdiapers also have the option of disposable inserts that can be flushed, composted, or thrown away. For 32 disposable inserts the cost is $14.99, but if you go to diapers.com and watch they have coupons that will make them cheaper.****


The third and final kind of diaper that I will be testing will be best bottoms, which is a one size shell diaper. For a three pack of these diapers and 9 inserts it was $83.85 (Pictures are soon to come!)

It is Thursday Oct. 17th 2013, and I am going to do this full time for this coming weekend. This account will be brutally honest, so that I can make an educated decision if this will work in my life. I truly hope that this will help others to see if this will work within their lives!






1 comment:

Jeani M. Wade said...

My friend swears by clothe diapers. I hope your experiment goes well. Good luck!